Table of Contents
Modal use a third-party data service to calculate taxes and most fees that are displayed within Checkout. By default, the dealership's zip code is used to calculate taxes and fees when a customer initiates a Checkout session. Taxes and fees are recalculated throughout the process once the customer has updated their billing information.
What Customizations Can I Make?
The following options are all valid configurations that Modal can make:
- Remove all taxes and fees from displaying in Checkout.
- Only calculate taxes and no fees.
- Only calculate fees and no tax.
- Calculate taxes from the third-party data service and use dealer requested fees.
- Calculate fees from the third-party data service and use dealer requested taxes.
- Hard-code a specific tax (e.g. 6.6% Sales Tax).
- Add an additional tax (e.g. TX Vehicle Inventory Tax).
- Hard-code certain fees (e.g. Documentation Fee).
There are known limitations of certain upgrades being taxed or not being taxed, as well as rebates not being taxed correctly. Using a hard-coded sales tax rate as mentioned above, customers have the options to configure the following settings:
- Deduct the trade in value from the price.
- Tax all upgrades/accessories added during checkout.
- Deduct the amount of rebates from the taxable price.
- 1.0 / August 14, 2020: Initial draft release.
- 1.1 / September 4, 2020: Minor Edits.
- 1.2/ September 16, 2020: Minor Edits and updated verbiage.